NYPD Mayor Eric Adams responds to officers’ viral video made after Drake concert at Harlem’s Apollo Theater

HARLEM, Manhattan (WABC) — Twitter went into a frenzy this weekend after footage was captured of the NYPD taking videos of people leaving a Drake concert at the Apollo Theater in Harlem, but the department insists it’s not what it seems.

“It was a big event. Drake back at the Apollo! We want that. We want to get our police and community involved,” New York City Mayor Eric Adams said.

It was an epic weekend at the Apollo. Drake performed in the historic theater for the first time.

After the Sunday night concert, fans walked up to about a dozen NYPD officers, in plain sight, taking videos of those leaving the performance.

The five-second clip went viral, with 20 million views and counting, and angered users on social media, including Twitter, over the NYPD’s surveillance tactics.

“Well, first we have to be honest with ourselves. Twitter isn’t real and those little people who go back and forth talking to themselves all the time,” Adams said.

READ ALSO | Woman pleads guilty to stealing $1 million New York State Lottery jackpot from her cousin

In a statement to Eyewitness News, the NYPD said the officer in the blue jacket holding the camera is from the 28th Precinct social media team and that the officer was shooting video for an upcoming Twitter post that will highlight local community events. highlight. The video is not used for any other reason.

They said the final Drake concert video will look like a video shot from a December toy ride.

The 28th Precinct has posted highlights of local events to promote a positive relationship between the community and the NYPD.

“If you have those sitting in the corner of the room at home trying to find a reason to separate NYPD from everyday New Yorkers, they will say so,” Adams said. “Thumbs up to that great captain in the 28 Precinct. I know that precinct. I know that captain. He’s very community oriented and community oriented and I commend him for that.”

But the clip reignited concern last week when Madison Square Garden admitted to using facial recognition to remove litigants with actions against the arena. This prompted state lawmakers to introduce a new bill on Monday that would ban the use of facial recognition at sporting events.

But now that the NYPD is offering an explanation for why cameras filmed people leaving the Apollo, many New Yorkers are still not buying it. This means that the NYPD has a lot more work to do to improve community relations.

———-

* Have eyewitness news delivered

* More Manhattan news

* Send us a news tip

* Download the abc7NY app for the latest news

* Follow us on YouTube

Submit a tip or story idea to Eyewitness News

Got a tip for breaking news or an idea for a story we should cover? Send it to Eyewitness News using the form below. If you attach a video or photo, terms of use apply.

Copyright © 2023 WABC TV. All rights reserved.

Leave a Comment