(WJW) — Ultraviolet lights used to dry nail polish could potentially lead to serious health problems, a new study finds.
This is according to a study published this month in the Nature communication magazine, the radiation emitted from UV nail polish dryers can cause damage to DNA and permanently mutate cells, which can lead to cancer.
The lamps are used to dry nail polish gels, which require UV radiation to harden. According to researchers, these devices emit UV wavelengths between 340 and 395 nm.
In the study, researchers exposed primary mouse embryonic fibroblasts, human foreskin fibroblasts and human epidermal keratinocytes to UV light.
The study claims that exposure to UV light during a 20-minute session caused 20% to 30% of exposed cells to die. Three consecutive 20-minute sessions caused 65% to 70% of the cells to die, the study said.
The remaining cells in the study also suffered DNA damage and mutation.
Researchers say previous studies have shown that gene mutations are likely to lead to a higher risk of cancer, and several reported cases have linked UV nail polish dryers to cancer.
“Taken together, our experimental results and the previous evidence strongly suggest that radiation emitted from UV nail polish dryers may cause hand cancer and that UV nail polish dryers, similar to tanning beds, may increase the risk of premature skin aging.” cancer,” the study says in part.
Read the full study and results here.
Suggest a correction